We are almost in that New Normal, during these months of confinement, fruits and vegetables have become the undisputed queens of the table, thus achieving a substantial reinforcement of defenses that helps prevent health problems and infections, thus as mitigating the effect of forced sedentary lifestyle to which we have been subjected.
Why fruit and vegetable consumption has increased during confinement
It is no secret that the pandemic caused by the COVID-19 coronavirus has been a before and after in most societies throughout the world.
This has pushed a change in mentality that, in many cases, has been positive, as has been observed in the concern of citizens for their health, which has led them to opt for a healthier and more balanced diet.
There are different reasons why this considerable change has taken place in such a short time, among which we highlight
- Strengthening the immune system: the search for a more prepared immune system to fight COVID and prevent diseases and infections and, if they occur, our bodies are well-nourished and with everything necessary to cope with it.
- Sedentary lifestyle: in view of the new sedentary lifestyle caused by confinement, many have anticipated the risk of gaining weight in these weeks, and by increasing the consumption of fruits and vegetables we are able to prevent it.
- Improve health: we have been locked up for a long time, so it is more frequent that we go to the fridge to snack on several times a day. By replacing more caloric foods, sugars, fats and salts with fruits and vegetables, we enjoy more flavor while reducing the risk of obesity or health problems.
The advantages of increasing the consumption of fruits and vegetables
The truth is that, almost without realizing it, we have led to a very beneficial change for our health, since increasing the consumption of fruits and vegetables brings great benefits such as:
- We reduce the intake of fats, sugars and foods with excess salt.
- We strengthen our immune system coronavirus and against other diseases. They provide large amounts of vitamins.
- We consume the minerals that our body needs.
- They contain large amounts of water that improve our hydration.
- They provide a much-needed fiber supply.
- They allow a better development of the organism.
- They help prevent diseases such as cancer, heart problems, etc.
- Antioxidants not only prevent aging, but also prevent the development of cardiovascular and nervous system diseases.
- They help us eliminate liquids thanks to its concentration in potassium.
- They reduce the level of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- They are more digestive, so we avoid heavy digestions.
- Its flavor is intense and allows it to be combined with all kinds of breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners, both in dishes and in desserts, appetizers and entrees, making them tastier and more nutritious.
It is clear that awareness of the importance of food for our health has been what has most benefited society during confinement, causing the consumption of fruits and vegetables to increase at most tables, which has led to a decrease in cases of obesity and a very considerable reinforcement of health in general thanks to the increase in defenses that allow us to prevent and combat COVID as well as any other disease that may occur.
Avocados, oranges, bananas, strawberries, also onions, lettuce, peppers, Swiss chard … How about you? What has been your favorite fruit or vegetable in confinement?